Us travel addicts are a special breed. Always planning and scheming our next adventures when we should be focussed on other things, and never happier when drinking strange beers in strange countries. Although some may view these as 30 reasons to seek professional help, I wear them as a badge of honour.
Travel Addict – Are you one?
1) You have knowingly slept with bedbugs for more than one night because ‘the price was right’.
2) One wall in your flat is a sanctuary to travel, complete with world map and various selfies of yourself in amazing places.
3) A country where you can drink water straight from the tap is a ‘luxury’.
4) Overnight bus trips have practically made you Stephen Hawking of the Candy Crush world.
5) You know how to offend someone and ask for a beer in about 12 different languages (best not to mix these up).
6) You MUST have at least 3 trips planned in advance to get you through the year. The idea that your work colleagues could possibly ‘carry days over’ is like something from the Twilight Zone!
7) You have your own travel blog (obviously!!!).
8) Geography is YOUR round at a pub quiz.
9) You’re used to wearing flip flops in the shower and still send post cards.
10) You wouldn’t think twice about asking for your sleeping bag to be dry cleaned for Christmas.
11) You’ve lived in at least two other countries in the world, and the country you plan to retire in is not the one you currently live in.
12) You’re happy travelling alone because you know you’ll meet other travellers, and class new friends as soul mates if they can still crack a smile after waiting all day at a dirty bus station in Delhi.
13) You avoid novelty passport stamps to save space for real border crossings.
14) Your flat isn’t decorated with one particular style, more an ecclectic blend of trinkets from every place in the world you’ve visited.
15) An “All Inclusive” holiday makes your stomach turn.
16) Your clothes have at times been so embarrassingly in need of a wash that you’ve had to throw them away.
17) The ‘Bucket List’ is a ridiculous concept as it would suggest it has an end.
18) You have been caught out in times of crises and wiped your bum on at least 3 different small denomination currencies from around the world, and as many bibliography pages from travel books.
19) The risk of developing a tropical disease when braving the more risky side of travel seems like a fair trade.
20) When flying long haul, you pray for the airline to bump you on to the next flight in exchange for an upgrade and lump sum payment to extend your backpacking trip.
21) You’ve owned, looked into owning, or refurbished a campervan rather than buying a car!
22) You have thought about setting up a travel company in some incredible place in the world, but secretly know it would be one of your worst ideas ever.
23) Music, books, television, film quotes and billboards make you want to quit your job and head off travelling. Also songs on your iPod remind you of stinking hangovers in strange places and overnight bus rides.
24) When you’re not travelling your dreaming about travelling, and the place you absolutely MUST travel to next changes every few days!
25) Whilst travelling, you’ve shat yourself at least once due to food poisoning.
26) You have a dog-eared copy of Into the Wild, Blood River and Shantaram on your bookshelf.
27) The idea that people you know would waste holidays on a 18-30’s club beach resort makes you feel physically sick!
28) The fact that someone doesn’t own a passport is simply not possible.
29) On you CV under the section of hobbies, it is perfectly acceptable to include travel!
30) You know the 30 classic signs of travel addiction!